It seems like if it isn't one convenience killing us it's another. A dear friend described the numerous horrors of microwaving food over dinner last Friday. (I'm glad she never knew I re-heated it in the micro-wave) The following are just a few dangers I found floating out there.
1) Microwaving destroys vitamins five times more quickly than does regular cooking. Researchers found that after just six minutes of microwaving, nearly half of the vitamin B12 in food was destroyed. Vitamin B12 was singled out for study since it is of vital importance in preventing several chronic major diseases.
2) A study published in the November 2003 issue of The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture found that broccoli 'zapped' in the microwave with a little water lost up to 97 per cent of the beneficial antioxidant chemicals it contains. By comparison, steamed broccoli lost 11 per cent or less of its antioxidants.
3) Plants watered with water that had been boiled in the microwave died - The information wasn't clear if this was because the boiling water was poured on them.
So I challenge everybody to STOP using their microwaves for 1 week. I've gone since last Friday and only zapped once. Unfortunately it was my kids mac and cheese I zapped.